Friday, October 27, 2006

Parenting thoughts

In going through some parenting ideas with other Christians, we have come up with a rough draft of a "Parent's Creed." Of course, this doesn't hold much water to the Apostle's or Nicene or anything, but it may provide some quick reminders on what we can do on a daily basis to be the loving parental guide our Heavenly Father calls us to be. May God bless you as you fulfill the most important vocation one could be given: ushering the children God has loaned you (for a time) to the foot of the cross to be saved by our Savior, who has fulfilled it for us.

NIV Ephesians 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

A Parent’s Creed
I am a parent, commissioned by God to be a leader in my family.

Considering love and control, I will recognize defiance and act quickly upon it,
But gently and lovingly teach a child about irresponsibility,

I will seek never to abuse anger, which seems to only break apart my relationships (Prov. 15:1),
But quickly, lovingly and gently (when appropriate) lead my children in a prayer of repentance and forgiveness found in Christ,

Corporal punishment will be utilized effectively in regards to the child’s actions,
but I will make sure my children know how much I love them through physical and verbal means (holding them and praying with them),

I will seek to bring my children to a repentant heart while also seeking to empower my children, with the help of the Holy Spirit, to master sin and its desires (Gen. 4: 1-7),

All this I will do with the help and power of the Holy Spirit, to lead and guide the children entrusted to me to the cross and resurrection of our Lord in baptism and the Word. May God grant me this ability for His glory and the salvation of my children.

1 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

How does a church worker faithfully balance God's call to church and family?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home